[Nautilus-list] Image Thumbnails, using .gnome/mime-info/type.convert ??

I have a special data-file format (NetCDF, ".nc") containing image
data and I like to get nautilus making thumbnails from it. Therefore I
made a converter programm "nctopng", which scales my images down and
produces a png image. Then I tried to setup a mime-filter:

$ cat ~/.gnome/mime-info/type.convert
image/x-netcdf image/png nctopng-filter.sh

I also changed the original NetCDF Mime type to "image/x-netcdf". But
I can't get it working...

Does nautilus support this filter mechanism and if so, how can I get
it working? If not, is there an alternative doing this?

--
In addition I have a different problem: I usually bzip2 my .nc data
files (because they are huge) -- how can I force, that files like

Percy