Re: [Nautilus-list] drag window focus hack issues

John Harper <jsh unfactored org> writes:
> Havoc Pennington writes:
> | - when it focuses a window, it sets focus to the
> |   window itself not GTK's magic focus child window.
> |   Not sure what impact this has.
>
> I don't know anything about this..

Owen says "he's surprised bonobo focus works at all" due to this.
I don't know what the issues are.

> | - when a window is not a registered drag window (e.g. prefs dialog),
> |   Nautilus client message filter never calls XSetInputFocus() at all
> |   which breaks Metacity.  It works with sawfish/twm/fvwm2 but I
> |   do not understand why - WM isn't supposed to set focus here
> |   and Nautilus does not AFAICT.
>
> Sawfish may ignore the input flag in some cases, maybe that's why

I tried toggling the "give focus to windows that haven't asked for it"
option, but it didn't seem to matter; looking at twm source code,
twm seems to always honor the input flag. Maybe it's caused by a
RevertToPointerRoot somewhere? I dunno.

> This bug can be easily fixed by focusing the window if it doesn't have
> a drag data structure associated with it

Right, except that GTK wants you to focus the special child of the
window, rather than the window itself, and there's no public API to do
so.

> I haven't tested it (my nautilus for gnome2 doesn't build currently),
> but I think this may fix the bugs. Maybe someone could try it out..?

It looks sane except I don't know how to deal with the focus child
issue.

Havoc