[Nautilus-list] "state of the Nautilus"

Since I'm going to be away from the project for the most part, I thought I'd
give a brief status report. I'm going to do another release of eel and
nautilus Sunday. Alex will most likely do additional releases if they are
needed in the next week.

We still have much work to do to get the Gnome 2 Nautilus up to the feature
level of the Gnome 1 Nautilus (what I would call an "alpha" version), and
then to get all of the most egregious bugs fixed (what I would call a "beta"
version). When the Gnome 2 nautilus gets far enough along, we'll bump the
version to 2.0.0 from the 1.1.x version numbers we are using during
development.

Besides Alex and me, and other frequent contributors like Anders, Michael
Meeks and others at Ximian (I think Jacob, Jody, and Dave) will continue to
do work on Nautilus, sponsored in part by Sun. So we can expect more bug
fixes and other contributions from them.

We're trying to use the bug database to track as much as possible of the
remaining work. A particularly useful page is:

    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/product-mustfix-report.cgi?product=Nautilus

Which shows all the "must fix for Gnome 2 Nautilus" bugs. Those are defined
by bugs that have a high priority or severity and are marked with the GNOME2
keyword.

The general rule is that you should assign a bug to yourself while you are
working on it. Bugs that are assigned to "nautilus-maint bugzilla eazel com"
are up for grabs -- no one is working on them at the moment.

A summary of some of how we deal with bugs: We divide bugs up into "Gnome
2.0 bugs", meaning ones that we must fix for Gnome 2.0, "Nautilus 1.0.x
bugs", meaning ones that are so bad that we must fix them for a future Gnome
1 1.0.x release, and "future bugs", meaning ones that we want to consider
for after Gnome 2.0.

    "Gnome 2.0 bugs" are defined as (highest to lowest importance):

    #1: Crashes doing normal stuff
    #2: Slowness doing normal stuff
    #3: Things that are worse than they were in 1.X -- new bug or feature
lost in the translation
    #4: Crashes doing unusual stuff
    #5: Any other egregious problems that were present in 1.X but would be
an embarrassment to the entire Gnome project if left broken

    "Gnome 2.0 bugs" get marked with the milestone "1.1.x", and the keyword
"GNOME2". The keyword is so they can be found across multiple products in
bugzilla by folks like Luis trying to get an overall picture of Gnome 2.

    "Nautilus 1.0.x bugs" get marked with the milestone "1.0.x". Making more
releases for Gnome 1 is a low priority, so there should be a small number of
very important bugs in here. If there are a lot of reports, it won't help us
much in deciding what to do.

    "future bugs" get marked with the milestone "future".

    Others bugs have no milestone, and that's one way you can find bugs that
need to be looked at. Luis also uses a "triaged" keyword to keep track of
bugs he's already looked at. Bugs marked with the "old" milestone are the
same as bugs with no milestone at all, but they are ones that have been in
the database for a while. This helps us find only new unmilestoned bugs by
searching for no milestone. But we eventually want to change all the "old"
to some other milestone, and then erase the "old" milestone.

    If you find bugs marked "GNOME2" that are not in the "1.1.x" milestone,
please change the milestone to "1.1.x".

    If you find bugs marked "GNOME2" that are in the "future" milestone, you
probably want to remove the "GNOME2" keyword.

To find all the unmilestoned nautilus bugs (83 at this moment), you can use
this query:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=nautilus&bug_status=UNCONFIRME
D&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=--
-

To find all the Gnome 2.0 nautilus bugs (61 at this moment), you can use
this query:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=nautilus&bug_status=UNCONFIRME
D&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=1.
1.x

Thanks for your help!

    -- Darin