Re: [Nautilus-list] the great nautilus bughunt begins!

On 6 Mar 2002, David Fallon wrote:

> Hello, nautilus folks. In an attempt to conquor the huge mound of bugs
> that is the nautilus b.g.o component, I've been going through them one
> by one... and have come up with several that need some discussion or
> clarification. If all of you busy developer folks could weigh in with
> your thoughts, that would be greatly appreciated. :) I'm doing this to
> make your life easier, after all. In addition, if the general nautilus
> users could add what bugs they view as particularly annoying or a
> priority, I would be a happy, happy man. The bugs are broken up into
> broad sections, with individual comments and bugIDs in a section. I did
> not provide full links to cut down on the size - please holler if that's
> something I should change in the future. Also, note that there's still a
> *ton* of bugs to go.
>
> An important part of this is deciding which bugs are ones that will just
> never get fixed. I personally would rather just trash those bugs that
> have no hope, to make it easier to focus on the important bugs, but
> that's something I need to get clarity on from you guys.
>
> Code cleanups:
> These are bugs that have to deal with various cleanups in the code or
> duplicates of FIXMEs in the code. I would really appreciate a developer
> going through these real quick and addressing first, if they're still
> relevant, and second, if they still care.

When eazel was around they had a principle that every FIXME in the code
had to have a bug in the bugtracker. I'm not sure what I think about this
principle, but right now we don't have resources enough to do this for all
new FIXMEs. I'm unsure whether we want to close the ones that are in there
though. Perhaps the ones that don't contain any information except the
location of the FIXME.

Reviewing the FIXMEs takes some time though, as you have to read the code
around them to understand the issues, and I'm not sure if that is a great
way to spend our time right before the Gnome 2 release. On the other hand
we need to get bugzilla under control... Ahhh. So many things to do...

I'm not sure that mailing the list like this is the perfect way. Am
i supposed to comment in my reply to the mail or should I add stuff to the
bugs? If i reply on the list it means information gets "lost" from the bug.

> * Move the wrap box widget into libnautilus-extensions, since it is no
> longer a cut and copied widget
> 47258: code cleanup, and one of those "never gonna get done bugs",
> probably. check with someone.
It seems like Darin rolled in the latest gimp version recently, so i'm not
sure it's not cut'n'pasted.

> * nautilus_complex_search_bar_set_location is not implemented
> 42517: bug that simply duplicates a FIXME in the code. Probably
> unnecessary, and might be one of those "never gonna happen" bugs.

I dunno what NautilusComplexSearchBar is. I doubt this is important, since
the state of search in nautilus is weak right now.

> * leak in BonoboStreamVFS
> 47461: code bug, bonobo. check with someone on it's continued existance.

Sounds bad if it still happens. Since BonoboXObject has been deprecated
the may have been changes in this area. Needs looking into.

> * relative paths turned into absolute paths by
> nautilus_make_uri_canonical
> 45069: code cleanup, need to check if it's still a bug.

Hmm. This FIXME seems to be no more. The issue may still be there though,
needs some deep thinking.

> * Missing check for pam-devel
> 47112: code cleanup, probably resolved. check with folks.

Doesn't seem to be fixed. May break compilation on platforms without pam.
Should probably be fixed.

Hmmm. At this point I got tired of looking at the bugs, so i just glazed
over the rest. Many of these bugs are regular bugs that should be fixed.
They're just not highly priorotized right now.

Right now, the best way to help is to find the bugs that relate to
nautilus 2, and are critically important to fix before we release Gnome 2.
The idea is to move all these bugs to the 1.1.x milestone so that we can
get a feel for what *has* to be done. And any bug that is clearly nautilus
1 only can be closed unless it is really really bad so that we need to
release a new 1.0.x version for it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese moralistic shaman living undercover at Ringling Bros. Circus.
She's a scantily clad punk soap star with someone else's memories. They fight
crime!