[Nautilus-list] Re: desktop:///

On 3/6/02 1:08 PM, "Shahms E. King" <shahms shahms com> wrote:

> While reading the recent thread about .desktop file editing in Nautilus,
> it occurred to me that the desktop itself should probably be a gnome-vfs
> URI (desktop:/// anyone?) so I actually took the five minutes to add to
> the libdesktop module in gnome-vfs (the appropriate change in nautilus
> was similarly trivial), in fact the changes were so simple (and come
> with so many other potential benefits, like, say administrator mandated
> desktop items -- has some drawback, but I digress) without impacting
> Nautilus' ability to "Use Home Directory as Desktop" that I figured I'd
> ask why before submitting the appropriate patches ...

One major problem is that we don't currently use gnome-vfs for monitoring in
nautilus. We use FAM directly. So if you make the desktop be "desktop:///",
then you lose file monitoring for the desktop.

The people who did the other virtual folders know of some other issues that
caused some difficulty. So we should hear from them.

In the long run, this sounds like a nice idea, but it's too late to do
safely for Gnome 2.0 in my opinion.

    -- Darin