Re: [Nautilus-list] Creating Launchers with Nautilus. Potensial patch.

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 19:54, Alex Larsson wrote:

> > > Surely it's easy enough to save any modifications to somewhere in a user's
> > > .gnome directory, and read that dir along with the others? (Should users
> > > ever be able to modify 'system' .desktop files? I wouldn't think so, but
> > > there could be a good reason for them to somewhere.)
> > >

> > Ok. I've figured out how to do it. There is a useritem-directory specified
> > in .gnome2vfolders/applications.vfolder-info.
> > Anything I put in this folder, will be merged into the dirs, based on
> > "Categories" specified in the desktop-file.
> >
> > However, this only works for a few subfolders of Applications. For
> > instance, applications:///Internet won't accept user created desktop
> > files. applications:///Accesories will. I have no idea why there is a
> > difference.
>
> That's really strange. Looking at the vfolder specifications they seem
> quite identical in principle. I don't know this code very well though.
> There might actually be a bug in the vfolder code, since that is quite new
> code.
>
> > In addition, me creating this workaround does nothing for helping to move
> > desktop-files from one place to another in the hierarchy via drag and
> > drop. This is still broken. Most likely because this doesn't really handle
> > vfolders either.
>
> The idea of dragging files in the hiearachy conceptualy doesn't
> work. That is not how vfolders work. Any given files can appear in many or
> no places in the hierarchy, all depending on the keywords in it and the
> queries that define the hierarchy.
>
> The idea behind vfolders is that all the files go to the same place, and
> you build the menus from the content of the files (the keywords).
> The latest version of the specifications for vfolders are at:
> https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2001-November/000196.html

No, one of the design goals of the vfolder spec is that it would be
transparent to users. Users just see directories, and they should be
able to drag files around, change them, create new files, or whatever,
and it should all just work. No vfolder mess for users.

-Seth