Re: more bugs....

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 14:18, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On the heels of the gnome2 release, I've gone through bugzilla and found
> some bugs i would like to close as won't fix, but need approval to do so
> first. here's the list. please let me know what ya think.

My approval/disapproval isn't really an issue, but here's my personal
opinion on a few of these that I think should maybe stay open. (The
others, I pretty much agree with.)

> bug 44772 -- double-clicking file name should start renaming (not open
> file)
>
> Personally i think clicking should never start rename, we have a rename
> option in the context menu, this is much cleaner and prevents users from
> accidentally starting rename. I would actually like to see click for
> rename removed from the list view as well since I'm always accidentally
> starting renaming when i just want to open a folder

This seems to have already been done, at least in 1.0.6 (can't speak
for 2.0 beta). Personally I miss click to rename from the Mac. :)

> bug 46306 -- No way to change a link's target
>
> Is changing the target of a symlink a reasonable unix action?

No, but being able to replace a symlink -- particularly a broken
one -- with one that has the same name but a different target might
be a useful action in a graphical file manager.

> bug 62201 -- Do not show dot files in Sidebar: Tree, even if "show dot
> files" enabled
>
> Why should we ignore the user chosen preference. I don't see the benefit
> of special casing this.

How about separating the preference? (I know, I know, adding more
user options is crack, but there might be a case for this one.)

> bug 68391 -- Themes are in strange directory
>
> Complains about the fact nautilus themes are in usr/share/pixmaps. I
> think this is a non issue since user installed themes are stored in
> ~/.nautilus/themes

It's still weird for system themes to be in /usr/share/pixmaps. (Is
that really where they are?)

> bug 65058 -- add a way to do operations as another user (as "sudo" does
> on the command line)
>
> Seth expresses a concern about security in this bug. Personally I'm
> against this, based on the assumption that gnome is most likely to be
> used in more large scale installations, where most users don't have root
> access anyway. For home users is pretty easy to just use sudo from the
> terminal.

Er... I think that depends on your profile of the "home user". It
also depends on what kind of operations you're talking about.
Potentially you're making people drop back to the command line to
do all sorts of things that they'd normally do in Nautilus. As it
stands, I can't even start a second as-root Nautilus session if I
want to graphically manipulate files that my normal login can't
touch -- I have to log out and log back in as root. This seems like
the sort of thing that leads Windows users to spend all their time
as "Administrator".

That said, maybe this is a bigger and more complicated story than
just adding a menu item. Seth's security issues w.r.t. out-of-process
components would need to be addressed, and if you could (for instance)
open some windows as root while opening others as yourself, figuring
out how the different privilege-level windows should interact could
be tricky (as would, in a different way, making it clear to the user
what was going on if you simply forbade them from interacting).