Re: more bugs....

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 18:18, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On the heels of the gnome2 release, I've gone through bugzilla and found
> some bugs i would like to close as won't fix, but need approval to do so
> first. here's the list. please let me know what ya think.
>
> dave
>
> nautilus
> -------------------------

Note that I snipped out the bugs I didn't comment on.

> bug 41591 -- the '/' level consumes a horizontal hierarchy level for
> little gain
>
> I think we have to leave the / level in if only for the reason that drag
> and drop into the root directory will not be possible if it's not there
> in the tree view

I agree.

> bug 44633 -- Cannot rename default icons on desktop
>
> A feature request to be able to rename mounted file system icons and
> trash (since home and start-here can be renamed). I think renaming trash
> is pretty crack, and nautilus generates the mounted drive names to be
> unique, so i think we should just stick with the current behavior.

Renaming the trash is useless, but mounted file systems not so much. I
remember people asking this feature before.

> bug 44772 -- double-clicking file name should start renaming (not open
> file)
>
> Personally i think clicking should never start rename, we have a rename
> option in the context menu, this is much cleaner and prevents users from
> accidentally starting rename. I would actually like to see click for
> rename removed from the list view as well since I'm always accidentally
> starting renaming when i just want to open a folder

I agree.

> bug 46306 -- No way to change a link's target
>
> Is changing the target of a symlink a reasonable unix action?

With ln you can do that by creating a new link with the same name using
the -f option. Not essential for a graphical shell.

> bug 62201 -- Do not show dot files in Sidebar: Tree, even if "show dot
> files" enabled
>
> Why should we ignore the user chosen preference. I don't see the benefit
> of special casing this.

I agree.

> bug 70543 -- please add commands to bzip or tar and bzip to the
> right-click menu
>
> Isn't this what scripts support is for. I do think it would be nice to
> include some default scripts with nautilus though.

AFAIR, support for scripts was added as a way to do some useful things
that weren't yet implemented. But the correct fix is to code the
feature. This is way Nautilus doesn't provide any scripts.

> bug 47829 -- link emblem doesn't look good when zoomed in 400 percent
>
> link emblem is a png, maybe in the future we should use svg for all
> emblems, but currently folders look pretty bad at 400 percent as well.

I think this is a valid bug. Folders don't look bad for the default
theme.

> bug 47103 -- need scaled version of Trash icon in default theme so it
> looks good
>
> Complains about the fact that default trash icon doesn't scale.
> Considering that the existing nautilus themes are pretty much
> unsupported, I think we should just close this. In the long term we'll
> probably just want to replace the existing nautilus themes with ones
> that are more gnomish anyway i would guess.

I think this is also a valid bug. If not all icons can be SVG in the
default theme, at least the trash icon could.

> bug 84209 -- Display of text preview inside of nautilus icon cannont be
> turned off on a per-file basis
>
> User is concerned that they store their passwords in a text file and
> cannot turn off icon previewing per icon. They are worried that a co
> worker will see the icon preview and hence their password. My opinion is
> that text preview should be all on or all off. plus you shouldn't be
> storing passwords in unencrypted text files anyway.

I agree this shouldn't be implemented. I think it's a very specific
feature that few people would use.

> bug 47902 -- Support Windows .ico file format
>
> I don't think we should be bending backwards to support non free specs.

.ico files are supported by current versions of gdk-pixbuf, this can be
marked FIXED.

> bug 68391 -- Themes are in strange directory
>
> Complains about the fact nautilus themes are in usr/share/pixmaps. I
> think this is a non issue since user installed themes are stored in
> ~/.nautilus/themes

The fact user-installed themes directory is ~/.nautilus/themes is also
an argument why /usr/share/nautilus/themes makes more sense. I think
this is a valid bug.

> bug 65058 -- add a way to do operations as another user (as "sudo" does
> on the command line)
>
> Seth expresses a concern about security in this bug. Personally I'm
> against this, based on the assumption that gnome is most likely to be
> used in more large scale installations, where most users don't have root
> access anyway. For home users is pretty easy to just use sudo from the
> terminal.

If this might be useful for some users (as you suggest) this should
remain open as a wishlist.

> A list of all the open news bugs. Whats the status of news in nautilus.
> Will it come back (I hope not). Can we just close these as this feature
> is no longer supported.

Even if it's not supported in Nautilus, one might want to package the
component and release as nautilus-news. The bugs shouldn't be closed,
but perhaps moved to their own product/component?

Same for the Hardware view bugs.

> News-----------------
> bug 48173
> bug 48187
> bug 48205
> bug 48452
> bug 48492
> bug 64362
> bug 65370
> bug 72226
> bug 73763
> bug 73825
> bug 77058
> bug 77939
> bug 80958
> bug 81678
>

> Similar issue with the hardware view. I brought this up a couple months
> ago, and someone got upset. Personally i think we should dump it. The
> hardware view is a)not very good and b) linux dependent. I think for the
> vast majority of users, distro specific tools like redhat's hardware
> browser serve the user much better.
>
> Hardware------------
> bug 46104
> bug 45996