Re: [Galeon-devel] Nautilus view and mime types

El jue, 06-06-2002 a las 19:05, Marco Pesenti Gritti escribió:
> On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 15:15, Ricardo Fernández Pascual wrote:
> > (CCing the nautilus list, I'm sure that they can help us here)
> >
> > El jue, 06-06-2002 a las 14:50, Marco Pesenti Gritti escribió:
> >
> > > Ok we (philipl and I) reached a sort of agreement on a impl like this.
> > >
> > > Content Handler send a GaleonEmbed mime signal like
> > >
> > > gboolean mime (url, type);
> > >
> > > The nautilus view connect that signal, compare the mime with the list of
> > > types handled by nautilus. If it's matched it opens it in nautilus and
> > > return TRUE, otherwise return FALSE and the url is handled by mozilla
> > > embed.
> > >
> > > Ok ?
> >
> > Yes, ok, but how are you going to know what mime types are handled by
> > nautilus? I depends of the installed views, etc.
> >

> I think it's possible to do it with gnome-vfs ... I should check if my
> guess is right though.

No idea of how to do it.

> > And even if a mime type is not handled by nautilus, that doesn't mean
> > that galeon should handle it. At least not always. Nautilus may want to
> > ask the user if he wants to download it or open it with some program...
>
> Well, galeon (the galeon view) would be already asking the user these
>
> > What about having a list of mime types handled by the galeon view and
> > letting nautilus decide what to do with the rest of types?
>
> According to philip it's not possible to have a static list of types
> handled by galeon/mozilla.

Not sure if we really need such list. What we may need is a list of
types that we want to handle with the galeon nautilus view. It can be
only a subset of what galeon can handle usually.

> Also how downloads would work in this way ?

	One of the complains that I have heard about the galeon1 view is that
it uses the galeon downloader instead of letting nautilus do the
download. I'm not sure of what is the best thing to do. We know that out
internal downloader will always work (even if there are cookies or
whatever thing involved). On the other hand, nautilus is supposed to be
able to decide what to do with some file, even remote ones.

	For example, imagine that an user clicks on a link pointing to a
tarball. When using galeon as a standalone app, it would usually start
downloading it. But when using galeon inside nautilus, I'm not sure if
we want to do that or if nautilus wants to use some view to show the
archive (when it will be written, of course). Even if there is no
handler configured for that kind of files, maybe nautilus should just
show the usual dialog that informs the user about that and points him to
the mime-types capplet.

	Please note that I'm not really disagreeing with the proposal from you
and Philip. It's only that I'm not (yet?) convinced that it is the best
thing to do, but I have not really a lot of concrete ideas of how to do
it better. So, if nobody complains more I think we should just use your
design.

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Fernández Pascual