Disclosure triangle behaviour (one user's feedback)

It appears that the real and desired behaviour of the disclosure triangles (wrt empty folders) within the folders sidebar changed with the resolution of bug 43608.

Personally however I find the current behaviour to be annoying and unusual from a ui design perspective. Currently, empty folders show a disclosure triangle - which when clicked opens the directory to show 'empty'... a waste of time, especially in sparsely populated trees. IMHO if there is nothing to disclose there should not be a disclosure control.

The cited reason for the current behaviour is that the disclosure triangle is a visual cue for directories that have a non-standard icon. I would like to argue that this is an extreme corner case - think about it, it's only a problem if all of the following simultaneously apply:
(1) You are using the folders sidebar with 'show only folders' turned off.
(2) The folder is empty
(3) The folder has a non-standard icon. (arguably an imprudent thing to do - if you specify an alternate icon for a folder that looks nothing like a folder, then either you are being purposely obfuscatory or deserve what you get...)

Further, it would only be a problem if you were searching around for a particular empty directory in which you wanted to put new files, and were not entirely sure of the identity of that directory. Seems peverse to me.

Moreover,
(1) I've never seen this behaviour in other file-outliners.
(2) In the main file-viewing canvas there is no such visual cue for folders, which is arguably a bigger problem. (3) The 'Empty' indicator is misleading - the folder is most probably not *empty* at all, but simply has no subfolders.

OK, it just seems sub-optimal to me.

While on the subject of disclosure triangles, a couple of other 2c worth. The triangles themselves are quite small and fiddly to click on. It would me much nicer to be able to double-click anywhere on a folder name to open it (as per ms explorer) or something similar.

The last point is that I find outliners much clearer and less fatigueing when the disclosure control is directly below the folder and the left edge of the subfolders is to the right of the right edge of the parent folder. gmc was particularly bad in this regard, from memory nautilus 1 got it right, and nautilus 2 seems to have regressed somewhat.

I'd be semi-surprised if there have not been studies into this area, but can't find anything on the net. Hope this user-feedback is useful to somebody.

Cheers,
Darryl Rees.