Re: Add Network Neighborhood to Nautilus

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 05:42, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

[snip]

> Netatalk is not implemented yet in gnome-vfs as far as I know.

No. There once was a scratchy alpha, but I've never gotten it to compile
and there was no author/maintainer listed! (Anybody want credit?) It
looks to have been taken from a Linux kernel AFP in the (1.x/2.0) kernel
series or so.

> But something like the above. I am sure there are other possibilities
> and more things to add too.

Working wishlist :-)

Directory       Filer     Print   Generic name
NMB             SMB       SMB     "Windows for Workgroups"
NBP             AFP       PAP     AppleTalk
NIS(+)          NFS       LPR/&c. "Sun"-type
Hesiod & Krb.   AFS       LPR/&c? Athena
 DNS WKS    }
 mcDNS      }   WebDAV    IPP     "IETF"-type
 LDAP       }
 SLP        }

+ NetWare has a suite of such things

+ ...various devices that expose some kind of FS (MP3-Players, Cameras,
&c.)

+ ...various "specialty" net-fs (e.g. Coda, Plan9, ...)

> The recent shares would be sort of like
> Galeon's automatic bookmarks of most often visited stuff. That way you
> don't necessarily need to "mount" the thing anywhere (nautilus' SMB stuff
> does not mount the devices with smbmount, it just accesses the shares
> via the vfs module as far as I know)

That's right, since Nautilus runs on systems where SMB may not be
natively supported, and, often users don't have permission to run
arbitrary mounts.

Plus, a lot of mount commands can hang if the servers are unavailable in
highly annoying ways :-)