Re: Geometry issues ...

On 4 Jul 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Frank Worsley <fworsley shaw ca> writes:
> > Also, I recall Havoc saying a while back that currently the WM can't
> > reliably restore window sizes because of some problem that I can't
> > really remember now and that this requires some new standard or
> > something. Anyway, he said that until then apps should be responsible to
> > restore their windows correctly. Is that correct Havoc?
>
> The WM does not have a way to identify which windows are "the same"
> window for purposes of restoring window attributes.  So you can
> e.g. accidentally maximize a mozilla dialog thinking it's a web
> browser window.

	If X session management is used it can. Don't have the entire
protocol in mind actually but somewhere between an __unique__ id is
generated for each window. This unique id generated by the session manager
can be used to restore windows. You might try this together with
gnome-session and icewm. Works perfectly.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
WWW:           http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/
PGP/GnuPG:     1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1