Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus/gnome-vfs interaction

As a work-around, try using file roller (http://fileroller.sourceforge.net/), it's reasonably functional.  Once it's installed, all you need to do is specify the use of file roller as the default app for tar, tar.gz, zip type files.

It's not the ideal solution but it works!

Also, there are nautilus scripts (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~smueller/Nautilus-Scripts) that can assist in the management of archive files.

Yours, in support of Nautilus,

Steve

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 22:47, Darin Adler wrote:
On 1/23/02 10:01 PM, "Dan Berger" <dberger ix netcom com> wrote:

> Double-Clicking on a .tar.gz, or a .rpm, or a .zip, or any number of
> file types that gmc (or more accurately gnome-vfs) groks results in the
> "I don't have a viewer" message.

These are missing features in Nautilus. People started on them, but they
didn't get done for 1.0.

> Am I missing something?  Is there some misconfiguration that might
> explain this behavior?  I like the look and feel of nautilus, but it
> seems, in many ways, a huge step backward in functionality from gmc.

This is a missing feature, yes. And it wouldn't be too hard for someone to
add it to Nautilus. I understand that it's a feature you really like in gmc,
and I'm sorry no one contributed the corresponding feature for Nautilus.

> Any constructive suggestions appreciated.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer to get this feature
implemented for future versions of Nautilus.

    -- Darin