[Nautilus-list] Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: location bar autocompletion

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Darin Adler wrote:

> > Naturally escaped ones should be treated as ASCII only, but what happens
> > when you unescape them. How do we display them in e.g. nautilus? We can't
> > really rely on them being UTF8, since that might not work for non-file
> > URIs.
>
> The fallback is to display the URI with encoded entities. There's really no
> "unescaping" of a URI. There's just a "display certain URIs in a nicer
> looking way" that doesn't necessarily have to work for every single URI.

But what about input? What URI do we generate if the user types some UTF8
text with non-ascii characters in the location bar?

The only thing that seems possible is to escape the UTF8 and try that. But
that makes it impossible to type in the name of a file that is not UTF8
encoded.

Damn. This will be a pain.

/ Alex