Re: [Nautilus-list] Tabs?

On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 11:41, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> If we wanted to unify this feature the right way IMO is to do it on
> the toolkit level, rather than the WM level.

I wonder. It seems like what a lot of the really *hardcore* tab
advocates want is to do away with floating windows and just use
tabs. (I've also seen people suggesting other retro-80s ideas
like only auto-tiling windows. Reminds me of the people on the
BeOS dev mailing lists a few years ago that didn't understand
why anyone needed multitasking, or for that matter, what kind of
weirdo would need more than one application running at once.)

Having a unified toolkit-level tabbing system would be nice for
casual tab users like me. Serious tab fiends maybe need something
more like PVM. It does strike me, though, that the problem with
implementing it in the window manager (or one problem -- I'm sure
there are lots) is that the application itself now no longer
knows about tabs -- it just thinks it has multiple windows. How,
for instance, does the application provide an "open in new tab"
contextual menu item?