Re: [Nautilus-list] Tabs?

> I've been thinking lately about usability and nautilus.  And one big
> thing hit me right smack in my head.  TABS...  Nearly all of my favorite
> apps (Gaim, Galeon, Xchat, even the new gnome2 terminal) use tabs.  They
> are great becuase it makes things much easier to manage (IMHO).  Well
> obviously you see where I am going with this.

What do ALL of the different apps you are listing have in common?
1. Very little interaction between windows (or tabs).
At most, you copy and paste som text from one to another. Common for all
of them is that you mostly use each tab for a different purpose (different
Websites, different IRC-channels, etc..).

2. Typical usage is LOTS of windows, and tabs are therefor useful.
This is especially true for Galeon and Gnome2-terminal.

How do Nautilus compare to this?
1. There are lots of interaction between windows. This is in fact a lot of
peoples primary way of using nautilus (drag and drop from one window to
another). Tabs are useless for this, and the only real way of doing it
between tabs is copy and paste.
2. I don't know about others, but I generally just use a couple of
nautilus windows, from what I've seen of others, this seem to be the case
with them as well. I normally use one window, and two if I want to copy
anything. This is in stark contrast to the amount of terminals, which I
sometimes even forget, and open new ones. There might be 10+ terminals on
my desktop at one time. The same goes for Galeon.

In addition, adding tabs would potentially clutter up an already large
interface.
Adding it as an option may be possible, but Nautilus has a lot of options,
and it just doesn't seem useful.

Gaute