Re: [Nautilus-list] New show hidden/backup files patch

"Show Hidden Files", by itself, with no checkbox next to it, is ambiguous. Does it mean "If you select this, the 'show hidden files' action will take place, and hidden files will appear", or does it mean "This is not checked, therefore hidden files are not currently showing"? There is no way to tell.

The way to make this not ambiguous is to use two menu items, one of which is always checked, like "Show Hidden Files" and "Don't Show Hidden Files". (I must admit I am infatuated with the idea of a menu item labelled "Hide Hidden Files".)

However, I strongly recommend not making it two menu items in this particular case, for two reasons:

1. It's not important enough to take up two menu items.
2. Nautilus already has a bunch of "Show Toolbar"/"Hide Toolbar" type menu items that toggle between the two verbs.

To fit in with the rest of Nautilus, it should use a toggling-label menu item, as Darin suggested. Alternatively, all of the current toggling-label menu items could be switched to use checked menu items. It would be silly to mix them. But they're all going to be ambiguous in either case.

John