Re: multihead desktop

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We need to be sure that old nautilus (2.0) still works with any new
> metadata changes/additions. i.e. you may share ~/.gnome-desktop
> between 2.0 and 2.2. It's important to keep that working.

That should be safe, with 2.0 it just won't read the screen metadata, and
everything will be fine (but single-headed).

> Also, doesn't this patch paper over but not really fix the fact that
> nautilus doesn't seem to monitor filesystem changes on the desktop -
> e.g. if I create a new launcher, it won't appear on the other screens.

What do you mean? Without this patch (and with a working fam) it would
appear on all screens, but with the patch it appears only on screen 0.

The problem with the old behaviour is that there is only ever one position
stored for each icon, but the icon positions are not uptated between
the desktops (if an icon moves on one it doesn't update on the others).
This causes some strange behaviour. (Plus its useless to have the desktop
be replicated on all heads.)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an oversexed zombie waffle chef on the edge. She's a disco-crazy
wisecracking femme fatale operating on the wrong side of the law. They fight
crime!