Re: Theme dir..

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 11:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> writes:
> >
> > Since most things seem to be heading towards
> > $prefix/share/themes/themename/app-dir/ structure, we should do that for
> > Nautilus as well. Metacity just recently switched as well.
> >

> Rather than causing breakage in Nautilus themes, could we just get rid
> of Nautilus themes?

I think that's a good idea (I'm assuming you mean not "do away with
Nautilus themes" per se, but instead, replace Nautilus theming with a
global desktop icon theme system).

> For icons (toolbar and file manager), we should have icon theme
> instead that spans stock icons and such, and Alex already implemented
> most of this using the shared spec with KDE.

I've long been a proponent of Nautilus themes not being allowed to set
their own custom toolbar icons that differ from other GNOME
applications.

> For desktop background, it in no way belongs in the Nautilus theme;
> it's entirely bizarre that the "Use Default Background" menu item goes
> to some Nautilus theme background, instead of the default gnome
> background from libgnome schemas file.

Yes.

> For the sidebar pieces, well, they should use a standard notebook
> appearance IMO.

Yes, Dave has some shots/code/something that I recall being a nice
replacement.

> I don't know what else is in the Nautilus theme but I bet it's not
> worth having a "Nautilus theme" concept.
>
> In any case, moving the Nautilus themes is definitely a 2.2 feature,
> and for 2.2 I'd rather see Nautilus themes die, short answer.

The only element I can think of is allowing specification of where to
put text inside document icons that support previewing. Overall, I don't
think it would be a *huge* catastrophe to lose this feature (not as
important, e.g. as unifying Nautilus themes with the rest of the
desktop), but it would be nice to find some way to preserve this.

-seth