Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 14:32, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> The a few reasons i would like it removed:
>
> 1. If you change the option to a different directory, using homedir as
> desktop doesn't use that directory (aka confusing)
> 2. The home dir on the regular desktop will not point at that directory.

After looking into 2) I've found that this is working by design.
According to
http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-August/005036.html
the home link is designed to point to $HOME.  I propose that we change
this and make the home desktop link configurable and independent of the
shell's conception of $HOME.

While I can understand Alex's thinking on the importance of $HOME, I
doubt if new users will agree.  In my experience, every new user I've
put on GNOME invariably tries to use nautilus as a web browser (this is
probably due to their experience with Explore).  So for them, nautilus
is a web browser and home is a homepage (location, whatever).