Re: [Nautilus-list] Tree view question

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 04:16, Glen Gray wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 22:20, David Moles wrote:
> > P.S. OS X also encourages the use of a columnar view

[...]

> This is basically taken from NeXT. It takes a while to get used to as
> there doesn't seem to be anything like it used anywhere else. IIRC,
> TkDesk implements this.

Yeah, I remember it from my (fairly minimal) interaction with NeXTStep.
I expect I'll get used to using it if only because it's in the open/
close dialog in OS X -- I don't see forcing myself to use it in the
main Finder -- and maybe I'll find a reason to like it, but right now
I just find it confusing, and I still have a strong suspicion that
nobody really tested it for usability; there seems to be some
inconsistency in the autoscrolling, for instance, to the point where
after using OS X for four months it still sometimes behaves in an
unexpected way when I click, which doesn't seem right.

I think what really makes me dislike it is the attitude Steve Jobs
has apparently taken of: "Forget all that spatial orientation stuff
you had in classic MacOS: This is better. Screw you if you don't
like it -- it's my way or the highway."