[Nautilus-list] open in this window / shortcut behavior

Guys,

I use Nautilus in its multi-windowed mode by setting the preference to
open everything in a new window.  For the most part, I like this
behavior because it reminds me of my old Macintosh's enjoyable
interface.  However, sometimes I simply want to click through a bunch of
directories quickly to get to a deeply nested file or directory.  Using
Nautilus to do this currently is frustrating in multi-window mode.  I
end up having to open a bunch of windows and then close them behind
myself.

I recall on Macintosh that I used to have the option to hold down a key
on the keyboard (either option or command, I do not recall) when double
clicking on a folder.  This would open the selected folder in a new
window, and close the old window behind it.  I do not like having to
right click on a file and have it open in a new window, as I beleive
that the shortcut is actually much faster and would be recognizable by
Mac users.

I would like to see this feature added to Nautilus, and hopefully before
1.0.6 is out.  I am a developer, but have never contributed to nautilus
for lack of time.

Is this feature easy to implement?  I may be able to find some free time
to hack this in if I can get some serious guidance.  I am an excellent
programmer, but I have very little knowledge of GTK+ and Nautilus'
internals.

Any input?  Like the feature?  How can I implement it?  Anyone want to
help? =)

Thanks!

Jonathan LaCour