Re: [Nautilus-list] Freetype2 in Gnome2?
- From: Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com>
- To: Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com>
- Cc: Peter Snyder <kafer77a ameritech net>, Nautilus <nautilus-list lists eazel com>
- Subject: Re: [Nautilus-list] Freetype2 in Gnome2?
- Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 10/23/01 8:44 AM, Alex Larsson at alexl redhat com wrote:
> > Gtk+ uses the Xft extension for it's AA text rendering. This is a X
> > extension implemented by the server. On some/most hardware, glyph
> > renderering is accelerated, so it is probably faster.
> Ah. I didn't realize gtk+ was already using Xft. I thought that was just a
> potential future optimization.
> I'm worried now. Does Xft work for rendering into the canvas buffer? This
> may complicate the Nautilus porting process.
No it doesn't, it can only render into server-side X images (called
But fear not! There is the PangoFT2 module that uses freetype to render
(fully client side). This is used by the gnome-canvas text items, GtkFB,
] [Thread Prev