Re: [Nautilus-list] script w/ mime handling

On 17Oct2001 09:30AM (-0700), Darin Adler wrote:

> If we want to install scripts with a packaging system, then we ought to
> change where Nautilus looks for scripts so it can find scripts places other
> than the user's home directory. The current feature is suitable for
> customization by the user, but not for scripts that are part of installed
> packages.

That would be cool.

> Anyway, if someone wants to implement the MIME type feature, we have to
> decide whether we want to use a directory structure or some kind of syntax
> inside the script to determine which scripts show up for each file.

A third possibility is to have a separate file (per-script or one for
the whole scripts directory) describe these attributes of scripts. I
think this is more flexible than either of the other two approaches,
but it will make scripts a bit less standalone (users may have to copy
two files instead of one to get a working script).

> In any case, while it is fun to discuss new features, it's depressing to not
> have anyone helping me figure out the speed crisis so we can get 1.0.5 out
> the door and get gnome 2 porting underway. A major problem is that I don't
> see the slowness on my own machine.

While I don't see the slowness on my machine either, I'm going to work
on the performance issues as best I can. I have some suspicions as to
what part of the changes since 1.0.4 may be causing it and a few ideas
on how to fix it.

In particular, I think that, because the icon view will now refuse to
display icons for files until the custom icon and display name are
ready, the FMDirectoryView level chunking has been broken and many
files become ready to display on a "files_changed" signal that comes in
after the "done_loading" signal.

My plan of attack for this is to make sure these attributes show as
ready during the "files_added" signal if the file type means no I/O
would be required for these attributes. Unfortunately, this won't help
with directories, where we need to check for a .directory file.

My other plan of attack is to reduce the jerking and associated redraw
costs by fixing the icon container to not jerk the items left to right
during loading.

I'd love to hear other ideas on what might help from you or others and
I would also appreciate help testing potential fixes from people who
are seeing the slowdown.

Regards,

Maciej