[Nautilus-list] Call for help: Nautilus 1.0.5 release on hold until HEAD is same speed or faster than 1.0.4

Hi guys.

A bit of bad news.

Since HEAD is slower than 1.0.4 was, I don't feel comfortable doing a 1.0.5
release. Our "release often" strategy only works if HEAD is an improvement
over the last release.

But sadly, I don't have a lot of time to spend looking into this. For one
thing I'm taking the weekend off. For another, my non-Nautilus work comes
first at the moment.

I'd like some help figuring out what makes 1.0.5 slower than 1.0.4 and
finding a fix. Once we have that problem resolved, I'll make a 1.0.5
release.

This will presumably also hold up the gnome 2 port of Nautilus, because I,
at least, won't want to start on it until we figure out this problem. I'll
do what I can to work on this problem myself and help those of you who are
checking into it

Keep in mind that this isn't a general call of "lets optimize Nautilus",
although speedups and bug fixes of all kinds are welcome as usual. We just
want to find out what we did that makes things slower than 1.0.4 and fix it
in the simplest way possible.

    -- Darin