Re: [Nautilus-list] Icon directory contents caching

on 10/7/01 8:25 PM, Maciej Stachowiak at mjs noisehavoc org wrote:

> On 07Oct2001 09:32PM (-0400), Alex Larsson wrote:
>>
>>> I know that other libraries would like to share the icon mapping, and this
>>> is a high priority for the future. But I think that making the mapping part
>>> independent of NautilusFile while keeping the features it currently has is
>>> going to be a bit tricky.
>>
>> Yeah. The next best thing would be to document it and reimplement a
>> "simpler" version outside of nautilus then.
>>

> Ultimately I'm hoping gnome-vfs can implement the correct mapping. One
> of the hold-ups right now is lack of metadata support in gnome-vfs.

Just for the record, this is exactly what I had in mind too. Last time we
discussed this I also pointed out that we want monitoring support in
gnome-vfs before metadata support, since metadata support without monitoring
in gnome-vfs would make it hard for us to monitor changes to metadata (since
metadata support would "abstract away" the knowledge of where the metadata
is stored and hence, what needs to be monitored).

So gnome-vfs would get monitoring first (I am still hoping for gnome 2.0),
then metadata next, then calls to locate appropriate icons for files (with
icon themes presumably being part of that).

    -- Darin