[Nautilus-list] History of User Proficiency levels

Hi, all.

I'm interested in how the Nautilus developers decided how to assign
features to the three user proficiency levels.  These are the "novice"
"advanced" and "expert" levels denoted by a green circle, blue square,
and black diamond respectively.

I am mostly interested in whether user tests were done, the developers
just used their "user intuition", or if some combination of the two
(perhaps alternating) was employed.

Thanks for taking time to read my question.

Jason Bechtel