[Nautilus-list] [John Harper <jsh unfactored org>] Re: WM_CLASS hint

Hi,

I started a little conversation on @gnome.org, here it is. ;-)

Havoc

--- Begin Message ---
Havoc Pennington writes:
|John, Darin says you added all the gtk_window_set_wmclass() calls in
|Nautilus. The ICCCM says that the name should be argv[0] or a
|user-provided string, and the class should be the same for all windows
|created by a given application - but Nautilus is setting stuff like
|this:
|
| gtk_window_set_wmclass (GTK_WINDOW (box), "stock_dialog", "Eel");

Well, I didn't add that, I imagine someone did s/Nautilus/Eel/ when eel
was moved out of nautilus

|What's the intended result of setting these hints? Should Nautilus be
|using the role hint instead?

I just wanted to give window managers a way to differentiate between
the different types of windows that Nautilus created, so e.g. they have
a way of storing configurations for each window

Setting WM_WINDOW_ROLE to the "stock_dialog" part (in this example)
would be the most correct thing to do I guess. It might also be good if
Nautilus included the current URI in the role of browser windows,

	John

--- End Message ---