Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus vs. xpenguins

Ben Ford <ben kalifornia com> writes:

> Hmm.  I could be wrong, but I think the point was that Nautilus is so
> slow to start that in the meantime Nautilus users get a really nasty
> flicker.  If we had a lightweight desktop manager, it would be much
> faster.

Flicker isn't really about speed - it's visible no matter how fast you
do it. Witness all the people thinking GTK 1.2 flicker reflects
slowness, when actually the drawing there is extremely fast. If you
do things such that they flicker, people will notice and think it's
slow no matter how fast you go.

The issue here is just about what the background of the Nautilus
desktop X window is set to. i.e. instead of popping it up gray we
can pop it up containing the background already. So then only the
icons would pop into view later.

Since the desktop involves almost exactly the same code as Nautilus
(it's just a file window with no borders, more or less), splitting
into two processes would just lengthen your total login time, I would
expect. In addition to using more RAM at a later time.

Havoc