Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

> Such installers are evil.
>
> If you must, make it so that right-click on package and selecting
> install automagically installs package. (Double-click on package
> should still open it as a .tar file).

Such installers are necessary.

I would not expect my mother to install some set of packages using rpm
from an xterm. How else would you expect to install something like GNOME
when you don't have gnorpm, red-carpet, or nautilus? Installers like
these are required to bootstrap the desktop environment.

Also, double-clicking on a package should not open up a new window as if
it were a tarball. Sure, listing the files along with other package
information is fine, but one should not be able to pull out or
manipulate files from a package as if it were a tarball: it isn't.

For things like Loki games or Nautilus, perhaps dedicated installers are
overkill, but they filled a need when things like Red Carpet or apt-get
weren't available. But if installers are evil, they are a necessary
evil.

Joe