Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus vs. xpenguins

You probably all know this, but you can tell Nautilus not to draw the
desktop (in the Preferences dialog) and then the penguins can dance once
more. The icons in the desktop window are still around in the directory
~/.gnome-desktop, so you can leave a window to that directory open all the
time if you want.

In the meantime, it would be a lot of work to get Nautilus to manage the
desktop window but not paint the whole thing. It would be fine if somebody
wants to tackle this, but it's not easy due to Nautilus's use of an
anti-aliased canvas. Perhaps in the promised future when X supports
anti-aliased graphics automatically this will be simpler.

John