Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME theme in Mozilla (was GNOME user environment brainstorming)

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 07:05:53PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > Though moving to Crux would be nicer (in my biased opinion).
>
> We need a default that works over the network and isn't so
> graphics-intensive. That's the main issue.

No. I really think you're wrong on this issue. I think its very very
important to have a theme that works well and efficiently over the network.
But its also important to have a theme thats usable and looks attractive. I
think we can have both - thats why Gtk+ is themeable!

For the first year or two I used X it was exclusively over the network - on
dumbish X11R5 x-terminals. Over time I began using them less and using X
on the console of PCs running Linux more. These days I hardly ever use remote
X.

What I would suggest is that we make the default Gtk theme be as attractive
and user-friendly as possible and have an option to use a theme that is more
network-friendly. I'm fairly sure that at least 95% of GNOME users never run
any remote apps. Anyone who does run remote apps will have to do a bunch of
configuration to get GNOME to run remotely anyway. I recall there being
outstanding issues with gdm's XDMCP support and GNOME packages are frequently
not tested with remote X setups (Ximian 1.2 didn't work with remote X logins
for a long time).

So thats my little rant - tell me if I'm wrong :)

Ian