Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

Alexander Skwar wrote:

> So sprach Zak McGregor am Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:40:02PM +0200:
> > Softlinks perhaps? Removing old softlinks for languages no longer used
>
> Something just came up my mind - how often does the average user change the
> language, anyway?
Actually several times.

For instance, I normally work in a German environment as ordinary
user, but use a 'C'-localeas root.
In some cases I also use special user accounts in other locales
(primarily "C").

> Sure, some people are multilingual, but every person has
> a mother tongue, or at least a language he's most comfortable/fluent with.
> I doubt that a user might ever change the language.
Cf. above.

You should also have in mind that several applications are so badly
translated, that people interactively change languages (at least I
often switch to using "C" or English in shells/X-terms). There also
exist several applications whose i18n support is broken and require
using other languages to get them working at all (i.e. German locale
uses "%d,%d" for floats, but some applications expect to see
"%d.%d").

> The only time he might really change the language might be the very first
> time he starts GNOME and when the distribution/admin had chosen a wrong
> default.
Root uses "C" in most cases. Consequently system-wide installation
will default to "C", while a personalized environment in many cases
uses another language.

Ralf