Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

So sprach Tuomas Kuosmanen am Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:10:35PM +0300:
> This is Not Good(tm) since you might have something else using those
> files as well. Like a script, or they might be open in some application
> when you change it.

Hmm, true.

> On my windows box I have both "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Programme",
> because I installed one german application. So it is not that smart
> always. It works fine though, as one can install anywhere anyway.

Yes, that's right.  Some programs in windows don't seem to check for this
setting, and install to where they want.

> But the issue here is that windows doesnt change language after you
> install it as far as I know, you buy one language version and install
> that. On GNOME you choose the language upon login time.

Yes, that's right - but how often do you change languages?  Dunno, but the
last time I changed languages was, uhm, never? *G*

> Maybe we should just create the directories on the first login, base the
> filenames on the chosen language, and write the paths to some GConf
> thingy, so the apps can ask gconf where they are. And not touch them
> afterwards? I am just not liking the idea of having the control center

Yes, that's the cleanest solution, I suppose.  But I can see people logging
in, eagerly to get started with the 'Linux-thing'.  But, uh oh, they've
accidentally choosen the wrong language, maybe because the distribution is
primarly not in their native language and thus has 'wrong' defaults.

Now they are stuck with a ~/Documents folder, while they might have gotten a
~/Dokumente folder (and would've liked a ~/Dokumente folder better).

I really think that a button 'Change folders' (or somesuch) would be very
handy in the Control Center.  Even disregarding your objection because of
scripts or apps or whatnot.

People will (?) really rarely click on this button, so I don't think it will
have this bad side effects.  But the danger is there, granted.

> include stuff that is not really necessary. We should have some sane
> defaults, and if those files are deleted, just default to $HOME (the
> case when someone dislikes those pre-defined dirs, just delete them and
> they dont bother anymore).

No, if the dir isn't there, it should be created on-the-fly.  If someone
dislikes the defaults, he should change em thru Control Center.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:	http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:	http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de