Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 24 May 2001 12:16:09 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> So sprach Christopher James Lahey am Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:06:49AM -0400:
> > That doesn't work either because then if you switch languages, you lose
> > all your data.  Well, it's in a directory that's harder to find which
> > amounts to the same thing.
>
> Uh?  Why do you lose data?  I proposed that Control Center (or whatever)
> should then ask you if you want to create new directories.  Further it might
> also convert the data, ie. mv <OldDir> <NewDir>.

This is Not Good(tm) since you might have something else using those
files as well. Like a script, or they might be open in some application
when you change it.

> On the other hand, the translation part is basically just about how it
> should be represented.  Have a look at Windows.  Windows installs programs
> to C:\Programme, in a german windows at least.  In an English Windows, it'll
> install to C:\Program Files, and obviously German and English programs can
> ask Windows where the 'PROGRAM FILES' directory is.

On my windows box I have both "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Programme",
because I installed one german application. So it is not that smart
always. It works fine though, as one can install anywhere anyway.

But the issue here is that windows doesnt change language after you
install it as far as I know, you buy one language version and install
that. On GNOME you choose the language upon login time.

Maybe we should just create the directories on the first login, base the
filenames on the chosen language, and write the paths to some GConf
thingy, so the apps can ask gconf where they are. And not touch them
afterwards? I am just not liking the idea of having the control center
include stuff that is not really necessary. We should have some sane
defaults, and if those files are deleted, just default to $HOME (the
case when someone dislikes those pre-defined dirs, just delete them and
they dont bother anymore).

But like I said on my last mail (that accidentally got sent as HTML thus
got rejected on mc-list moderation :) it is very important that the file
dialog remembers the last location used, so it adapts to whatever folder
one tends to use. This should work per-application and remember both the
load and save folders.

Tuomas

--
|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |