Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

Zak McGregor wrote:

Now, for apps executed in such a way via Nautilus or GMC, perhaps it
would be a good idea to have a sort of chrooted environment for those
files to run in, and have the application revert the status of the file
*back* to whatever it was prior to the execution of it via whichever
interface was used to invoke it? That way, the clueless would only be
able to execute it via the interface, which would run it in a clean
environment and also protect the user from inadvertently running the
executable via any other means. If the user wants to run the program
through any other means, he would have to do the chmod +x himself,
leaving the situation no worse off than without these ideas implemented
in Nautilus...

Wouldn't work well that way. What about the Ximian installer, or the RealPlayer installer?

You could do a sandbox like Java so it'd pop up a warning when a program tried to overstep boundaries, but I don't think it would be worth the coding effort. User permissions are probably more that enough. (unless luser is running as root, then he can discover why you don't do that!)

-b

--
"One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
stupidity, that the media is reassuring people it's alright not to know anything. That to me is far more dangerous than a little pornography on the Internet." - Carl Sagan