Re: [Nautilus-list] fonts on sidebar's tabs problem solved

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Ramiro Estrugo wrote:

> Vlad Harchev wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  Recently several translators (including me) complained that Nau-1.0 uses
> > incorrect fonts for text on tabs of sidebar and as names of
> > emblems/colors/patterns.
> >  It turns out that it's enough to remove urw fonts shipped with Nau (in
> > /usr/share/nautilus/fonts/urw) - it seems that Nau begins to search for fonts
> > in X fontpath and begins to use it. When I remove
> > /usr/share/nautilus/fonts/urw on my box,  all russian text in all places
> > displays nicely without any flaws, independant of the state of 'enable smooth
> > graphics' checkbox; when smooth graphics is enabled, the text really gets
> > antialiased.
> >  So, it seems all Nau distributors should remove urw fonts from nautilus rpms
> > if the distro the rpms are built for already ships Type1 fonts.. Other option
> > is scanning for fonts with locale-specific encoding first, and if not found,
> > use urw fonts shipped with Nau.
> >
> >  Best regards,
> >   -Vlad
> >

> This is all true of 1.0.
>
> Already in the CVS HEAD of Nautilus this works much better.  We use the
> font server's configuration to populate the font choices.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on how "scanning for fonts with locale-specific
> encoding first" should work ?

 If Nau (freetype2) can use X font handles for AA drawing (e.g. by
oversampling) then Nau should try to get font from X using *-* in
XLFD for registry-encoding - if there is a font with registry-encoding
matching the locale's one, it will be automatically returned (XLib is helpful
for this), failing that XLib will return handle to the font with any
registry-encoding; if XLib returns NULL as font handle (i.e. there is no font
of that famility) Nau should use urw fonts shipped with it.

 Trying to get font of other font family (e.g. Helvetica) from X before
falling back to urw fonts may be wise idea too (in hopes that there
is helvetica with glyphs needed by current locale).

 Feel free to ask for any help on this topic.

> -re

 Best regards,
  -Vlad