Re: [Nautilus-list] Thumbnails of large images (and some misc. Nautilus opinions)

on 3/20/01 1:23 PM, Matthew Walton at mxw00u Cs Nott AC UK wrote:

> I agree. After much hassle, sweat and recompiling of most of GNOME
> (although I did end up using 1.4rc1 which I rather like) I finally got
> Nautilus working today. It really does look out of place when browsing a
> directory full of images which might be for a website - one such
> directory I was viewing contained a quantity of JPEG images - for each
> image there was also a thumbnail version of it. All of those thumbnail
> images were displayed without borders, which made the directory look
> rather odd.

Bug 3328 is about having a preference for the upper limit of thumbnails.
Bug 5081 is about some other way to determine the lower limit for
thumbnails.

> Also, I noticed that when I increase the size of an image thumbnail, the
> image isn't re-read and the thumbnail regenerated at a higher
> resolution, but rather the original is smooth-scaled up to the new size.
> This is horrendously slow (any speedups in the works by any chance?) and
> looks quite, quite terrible.

Bug 4340 is about the thumbnails looking bad when scaled.

> In general I like Nautilus, although it would be nice if the filetypes
> worked properly. I set up a MIME type for LyX files, set the default
> action to open them in Lyx, and lo and behold, when I double-click on
> them Nautilus says it has no internal viewer capable of handling them. I
> know! That's why I want them to open in LyX when I double-click on them!
> Just a little niggle.

This does work in general. I am curious about what went wrong in your case.
Were you using Nautilus 1.0 or an older version when you had this problem?
How did you set the default action (in the File Types & Programs capplet or
in the Open with Other... dialog)?

> Not so little is the lack of a delete command, as I believe others have
> mentioned.

Someone else on this list just pointed out that you can now implement your
own delete command using the new Scripts menu that's in Nautilus in CVS
HEAD. Not to say that we will never add a delete command, but you don't have
to wait for it to be added to Nautilus; you can do it yourself.

John