Re: [Nautilus-list] Results of MIT usability testing

So sprach Christopher D. Beland am Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:07:01PM -0500:

> Well, as I say, usability testing could/should determine user
> experience, and thus tailor to the most common case, and not Alexander
> or mine or anyone's individual preferences.

Yes, of course.  I did not want to say that what I wrote is somehow true for
all users.  I can't say something like this.   Basically, I wanted to
mention that while you may think that it is nice to be asked what to do with
each file type, others (ie. me) may not like this behaviour.

> You could/should also have a global "just do the right thing, don't
> ask me what to do about file types" setting.

Sure, that would be the best.  But, what is "the right thing"?

> > Hmm, why should it have built in editing features?
>
> Why should it have built-in viewing features?  ::shrug::

Really, I don't know.  I was going to ask the same question in my mail, but
seeing that built-in viewing features are already available, and seeing that
I may not have all the right background to ask such a question, I refrained
from doing so.   And:

> The split-panel display idea is very interesting...

That was the best idea I could come up where a built in viewing facility
might be of real use to *ME*.

Oh, one more thing that annonys me with the current built-in viewers.  When
you watch a file with the built-ins, it's obviously going to replace the
file list window.  If I want to see the files from the directory again, I
need to click on "Back".  Assuming that performance is a non-issue (someday
*G*), I assume that people might like this (not me, but that's besides the
point).  The behaviour I describe below also happens when going to a
directory.
Now, what REALLY irritates *ME* is that going back to the file list window
(with "Back") will take me to the top of the file list window.  Assume you
have a directory with 100 images, and you want to view the image called
"x.png".  After you're done with watching, you click on back.  Now you see
the files "a.png", "b.png", "c.png" ...., but *NOT* the file "x.png".  To
see this file again, you have to scroll down.
*I* do not like this.  Others may, but not me.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:	http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:	http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de