Re: [Nautilus-list] FTP file permissions

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 02:48:03PM -0400, Abe Fettig wrote:
> Any chance that Nautilus will support setting file permissions in FTP
> directories any time soon?  Is this a gnome-vfs issue?

This is a gnome-vfs issue.

The problem is that its basically impossible to map the permissions exposed
by the remote server meaningfully to local applications. We can work out
what user/group a file belongs to, and what the permissions for the group
and user that own the file are, however theres no way of working out which
user we're logged in as, so all this information is fairly useless.

Additionally, the representation of permissions in gnome-vfs is closely
linked to the local user/group databases.

What are you trying to do - perhaps we can work out some way that you can
do what you're trying to.

Ian