Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: IMON in mainstream Linux kernel?

Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:

> On 14 Jun 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>

> > Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
> > >
> > > It also fails if there are multiple hard links to a file, and you're
> > > watching it in a directory other than the one it is changed in.
> > >
> > > Al Viro had various other complaints about it's semantics too.
> > >

> > None of which really matter for a GUI filemanager. ;-)
>
> Well. I think the idea is that if you put it in the kernel it must be
> good, because people are gonna use it for a lot of thing.

Not really.
It depend what user file program need to do to benefit of it.
It some case, it can be transparent, in other case not ( zero copy
throught sendfile is an exemple).

> That doesn't explain why Linus accepted the crappy SIGIO thing though.

because it's a standard ?

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | "Programming is a race between programmers, who try and
MandrakeSoft         | make more and more idiot-proof software, and universe,