Re: [Nautilus-list] IMON in mainstream Linux kernel?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Thursday, June 14, 2001, at 09:20  AM, Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:
>
> > BTW: do you know if IMON will get integrated in the mainstream kernel ?
>
> Almost certainly not. The kernel hackers have their own monitoring API,
> which they think is superior to IMON. Seth said that it seemed like the
> Linux monitoring code was not sufficient to do what FAM requires, but I
> haven't looked into it. It's possible that a future version of FAM could
> use the Linux monitoring.

The kernel people doesn't think the current monitoring API is superior. In
fact, most people think it's crap. I don't know why Linus let it in
though. It slipped in with some file lease changes that samba needed.

They do seem to think that IMON, both the API and the current
implementation, is bad though.

The truth of the matter is probably that the kernel people don't feel that
this is an important issue. I obviously disagree.

/ Alex