Re: [Nautilus-list] hidden files bug

christian glodt ist lu writes:

> > > I was looking at fm-directory-view.c:real_display_pending_files().
> > > As it seems, currently hidden files are present in the list of
> > > files passed to directory views even if hidden files are turned
> > > off in the preferences. This probably hurts performance a bit
> > > when viewing directories with lots of hidden files (e.g. home
> > > directories). I tried to dig into the code to find out where
> > > the problem lies, but I thought I'd rather report it now.
> > >
> > > I couldn't quickly find out where the GList of pending files
> > > (files_added) is constructed. I got somewhat lost in
> > > nautilus-directory*.[ch], but I suspect a fix may be possible
> > > somewhere in nautilus_directory_get_info_for_new_files in
> > > nautilus-directory-async.c. I'm not yet able to fix this myself.
>
> > Calling this a bug is silly.
>
> Sorry.
>
> > You think that it *might* be faster if you
> > filter out the hidden files at an earlier level. But it might not be
> > faster.
>
> Seeing the complexity behind it all, I don't think it would be
> good to optimize for an (possibly) uncommon case. Surely not without
> hard evidence of a bottleneck.
>
> > Older versions of Nautilus did filter out hidden files earlier, and this
> > led to a bug where if you renamed a file to a hidden name, it would stay
> > forever with the non-hidden name, because the name change would not be
> > reported to the directory view.
>
> I had tried a check within fm-directory-view.c, which worked in that case.
> But the benefits are probably unmeasurable. I think it only saved one
> signal emission per hidden file.

It probably saved some latency between User action -> UI reaction.
Here I have 29 regular files in my homedir versus 188 hidden files.
If hidden file are read first, that is one of the latency case which
make home directory loading slower than for other directory.

--
Yoann Vandoorselaere | QOTD:
MandrakeSoft         |  My mother was the travel agent for guilt trips.