Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: Nautilus vs. xpenguins

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 08:30:16AM -0400 or thereabouts, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> I've been thinking some about these root-window hacks. I think Nautilus
> covering the desktop seems like the RightWay for various reasons (One of
> many reasons is that this way icons with lots of transparent pixels are
> still easily clickable.) but I see the place for fun stuff like xsnow,
> xpenguins, and xearth. It seems like the best way for root-window hacks
> to coexist with nautilus would be some way for hacks to be written
> specifically with Nautilus in mind.
> I'm imagining a plugin system that would allow programs to draw on the
> Nautilus desktop directly. This would allow for antialiased xsnow, icons
> casting shadows on hacks and the like.
> Perhaps this is a crazy idea but I havn't heard it suggested yet so I
> thought I'd chip in.

Not that crazy. It turns out that KDE2 also puts a window on the
root window, and so do several other programs. So the xpenguins author
now has this on

   Since version 2.1, xpenguins works with KDE 2, Nautilus and various
   other virtual window managers that put a big desktop window over the
   root window. It will not work with CDE.

2.1 came out last week. Presumably other programs could take the same
approach as xpenguins?