Re: [Nautilus-list] [Fwd: help making librsvg and eel stay out ofthe way of GNOME 1 versions]

Ramiro Estrugo <ramiro fateware com> writes:
> Ok, I see how this is a problem.  Should I revert the change ?  If so,
> are we then stuck with the library being called libeel.so.0 for ever ?
> Or do we make the shared library version number something different than
> the release number ?  Something like libeel.0.x.y, and we increment the
> x.y numbers ?

GTK has the funny expr thing you have there, but you'd have to ask
Owen what it's about exactly.

Here's what gconf configure.in has to say:

dnl increment if the interface has additions, changes, removals.
GCONF_CURRENT=1

dnl increment any time the source changes; set to
dnl  0 if you increment CURRENT
GCONF_REVISION=0

dnl increment if any interfaces have been added; set to 0
dnl  if any interfaces have been removed. removal has
dnl  precedence over adding, so set to 0 if both happened.
GCONF_AGE=0

The comments are just my summary of the docs in "info libtool"

So for the GTK versioning scheme I guess you'd expect _CURRENT to
increment between major releases, and REVISION to increment for all
bugfix releases, and AGE to never change.

> Is the binary compat breakage a big deal, since only Nautilus uses Eel ?

Don't third-party views/components use it?

Havoc