Re: [Nautilus-list] Desktop background, fixes and hacks

On 24 Jul 2001 09:24:42 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 10:58  PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > The two fixes I think should definitely go in the mainline.  I'm less
> > sure about the hack. It reduces nautilus's share of CPU usage on my
> > (fast) machine from ~10% to ~1% when moving a window over a otherwise
> > empty desktop background, so it's a pretty big effect, but the
> > need to change GnomeCanvas makes things ugly.
>
> I'd like to see all three changes rolled into CVS. The result for the user
> is more important than a bit of code ugliness, in my opinion. Reducing
> complaints about slowness is the #1 priority for Nautilus right now.

Agreed.. BTW, I've tested the flash at startup fix from Alex Larsson and
it works very well except if you are using a bitmap background :
in this case, at login :
-background_capplet set default bitmap background
-nautilus starts, display its own root window with default background
color (and not default bitmap background) and after, display bitmap
background.. Instead of having a white flash, we have a more colorful
one :))

--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft