Re: [Nautilus-list] DnD questions

On Tuesday, July 17, 2001, at 12:16  PM, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

While I'm trying to clean up Nautilus' drag and drop code, there are two
more bugs that need fixing.  To be more specific:

1) Dragging a .desktop file from the panel to the desktop results in a
   .link file being generated.  It should create a .desktop file.

2) It doesn't like dragging a .desktop file from the panel to a window
   at all.

I'd like to fix these, but am getting a little overwhelmed of where
nautilus actually handles drag and drop.  Can anyone give me a brief
road map of where I'd look to fix this?

The sad part is that Nautilus drag and drop is spread around in many places and a bit of a mess. The worst part of it is that there is code that should be in libnautilus-private that is currently in eel, and code that should be in the Nautilus file manager source section that is currently in libnautilus-private, which totally sucks. Luckily, I can point you to the right place for what you want to do.

A good place to start for the icon view is nautilus_icon_container_receive_dropped_icons in libnautilus- private/nautilus-icon-dnd.c The corresponding code for the list view is in src/file-manager/fm-list-view.c, fm_list_handle_dropped_items.

The fact that nautilus-icon-dnd.c has the icon-view code in it is an architecture mistake.

Let me know if you have more questions about where to look.

    -- Darin