Re: [Nautilus-list] ~/Nautilus

On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 05:41  PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Darin Adler <darin bentspoon com> writes:
Is ~/.gnome/nautilus-scripts better? Sorry to stir things up.

I'm pretty indifferent. I've thought of .gnome as "where
gnome_config_* puts things" but there's the ~/.gnome/apps precedent,
so maybe you are right. Just tell me what to do. ;-)

Miguel is always pushing for ~/.gnome in the name of not cluttering even the invisible part of the user's home directory and in the name of flying the gnome flag whenever possible.

Since I also do not feel strongly about this, I suggest using ~/.gnome/nautilus-scripts.

Are you also planning to do something about moving existing users' scripts and helping them delete the ~/Nautilus directory?

I can try to cook something up. I'm not sure it's super-important to
do more than system ("mv ~/Nautilus/scripts .gnome/nautilus-scripts")
and then let people delete ~/Nautilus on their own (I don't want to rm
it, maybe they have data in there). Maybe a dialog saying "you can
delete ~/Nautilus if you want, scripts are moved."

Sounds OK.

If I remove the first time druid, I have to keep the various
initialization side-effects in there that aren't really related to the
druid, and then add this upgrade step to the "first time"
initialization code, right?

Yes, that's the right place for it, I think. We want to have a version number of sorts in there, so we can do the appropriate upgrading steps exactly once. I'm not sure if that's already present.

I'd like to extend the .desktop files first, then remove the
Nautilus link files after considering providing some migration
tool. But I'd love to replace Nautilus link files with desktop
files, especially if we make the desktop file implementation in
Nautilus at least as good as the old link file implementation.

OK. My first priority is just to establish this as the ideal long-term
direction, so I won't feel bad using .desktop files for the Start Here
link and the stuff inside /etc/X11/starthere. We'll have to support
the link files (or provide a migration script) for a suitably long
time, but there's no point creating new ones.

When the .desktop patch comes through, I'll look for things that .link files can do that .desktop files can't.

    -- Darin