RE: [Nautilus-list] Thumbnail managing draft

Although Darin did a very good job of offering some suggestions, I'd like to
add a few thoughts of my own.

I agree with Darin's sentiment - why have two versions of the thumbnail?  It
seems like the relative rendering cost of a larger file isn't worth the
added complexity.  Not only does this complicate the file structure, and
increase space taken up on the hard drive, but now we have to quantify what
"low quality" and "high quality" are.  It seems like a lot of work without
much real benefit.  And, as this should ideally be adopted by as many
projects as possible, the simpler the standard, the more likely people will
use it. ;-)

Also, the .failed files also seem to introduce more problems than they
solve.  With a .failed file, you have to worry about locking, and, as Darin
astutely pointed out, when one program fails, it doesn't mean that another
will.  Nautilus may choke on a file that the Gimp can handle just fine.

I like the idea of setting the mtime and file permissions to be the same as
the original image.  I would probably just have equality checking do
	if (thumb.mtime != orig.mtime)
		generate_thumbnail(orig);
rather than
	if (thumb.mtime < orig.mtime)
		generate_thumbnail(orig);
because all you really care about is that they are in sync with each other.
So if they aren't, fix it.

I very much like the idea of multiple thumbnail sizes, as I think that icons
in general should be available in a variety of sizes, to avoid ugly scaling.
But I'd make the largest size 196x196 rather than 160x160.  That seems to be
what icon people are doing already.

Other than that, I think it is a great first cut.

	--Ryan