[Nautilus-list] [Ricardo Fernández Pascual <ric users sourceforge net>] Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: Galeon, Nautilus, Mozilla must share profile information

Sorry for not CCing this in the first place, but I forgot

Please, CC me or galeon-devel list for replies

--
Ricardo Fernández Pascual
ric users sourceforge net
El 10 Jul 2001 11:21:00 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti escribió:
> On 09 Jul 2001 16:01:25 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 7, 2001, at 11:36  PM, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> >
> > > I propose that Galeon, Nautilus, Mozilla, and other embedded Mozilla
> > > implementations should share profile information.
> >
> > Sounds like a nice idea.
> >
> > > I find it very silly
> > > that I should have to change my proxy preferences, for example, in three
> > > different places.
> >
> > Agreed.
>
> I think a neat solution to this would be a control center applet for
> browsing related stuff ... someone talked about it on gnome-hackers ...
> It would be good also to configure gnome-vfs proxy.
>
> > > It is also silly to have three out-of-sync bookmark
> > > lists,
> >
> > Not so sure here. I think that many Nautilus bookmarks would be useless in
> > Galeon and Mozilla. Sharing does sound like a good idea, but I don't know
> > how to deal with the different nature of what you can bookmark in all 3.
> > For example, I'm not sure I'd want my entire set of web page bookmarks to
> > display in the Nautilus bookmarks menu, which currently contains a few
> > local directories that I visit often and nothing else.
>
> Agreed, but probably it would be nice to share the same bookmarks format
> in galeon and nautilus.

And we can share that format with Konqueror and others, using XBEL.
Galeon can import/export XBEL already, and switching to XBEL as the
native format wouldn't be too difficult.

We can add an attribute to the bookmarks (represented as a metadata node
in XBEL) to identify the program that added the bookmark (or the kind of
the bookmark: web, local, private... ) and let the user choose which
bookmarks does he want in each program.

I've been thinking for some time about rewriting the Galeon bookmarks
system (to my surprise, some people seem to like it), and doing it as a
shared lib (or bonobo component, with a control for the editor, etc).
This could be reused by Nautilus and the rest of gnome programs that
need bookmarks.

--
Ricardo Fernández Pascual
ric users sourceforge net